Recipe: "Red velvet" cookies
Is your dog your Valentine? Us, too! We love to spoil our pitties with healthy homemade treats. Ditch the chocolates and whip up these easy, tasty Valentine’s Day dog cookies. Instead of chocolate and food coloring, our red velvet cookies use beets and apple sauce.
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup canned beets, pureed
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 12oz whipped cream cheese, softened
- 2 TBS plain 0% fat Greet yogurt
- Berry juice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- In a medium bowl, mix flour and baking soda together. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix apple sauce, beets and oil. Slowly add the flour mixture to the beet mixture.
- Knead until the mixture becomes a smooth dough. You can add a little flour if things are too sticky.
- On floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4in thickness. Use your favorite cookie cutters to cut out the cookies!
- Bake for 20 minutes. While the cookies are baking, make the icing by mixing together the cream cheese and yogurt. Add berry juice until you get the color you want.
- Let cool, decorate, and enjoy!
Mandy has lived with pitbulls her whole life, and she has amassed a wealth of experience and knowledge about these magnificent animals. Having had the pleasure of owning and caring for numerous pitbulls over the years, she has come to understand their unique characteristics, behaviors, and needs. Read more